Monday, April 2, 2007

Probably Stevens's Sexiest Poem...

and pretty

The Plot against the Giant

First Girl
When this yokel comes maundering,
Whetting his hacker,
I shall run before him,
Diffusing the civilest odors
Out of geraniums and unsmelled flowers.
It will check him.

Second Girl
I shall run before him,
Arching cloths besprinkled with colors
As small as fish-eggs.
The threads
Will abash him.

Third Girl
Oh, la...le pauvre!
I shall run before him,
With a curious puffing.
He will bend his ear then.
I shall whisper
Heavenly labials in a world of gutturals.
It will undo him.

(from "Harmonium," 1923)

4 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

Oh yes I agree - sexy and pretty. And to think he was an accountant in an unhappy marriage - am I right? with Stevens I often have trouble putting the man and his words together, but I guess that could be true of all writers!

Katherine Dolan said...

Yes, according to John, Stevens and his wife lived in separate wings of the house and frankly despised one another.

I think this was one of his earlier poems.

Ajit RK said...

Hi,Nice Poems.
Are you the wife of John Dolan who wrote for Moscow's eXile. If yes, Just tell him one of your readers is his admirer. Where is he now? He doesn't seem to be in eXile.
Dolan is such a wonderful writer. I am always eager to read more stuff from him.

Katherine Dolan said...

Hi Ajit

Yes I am John's wife. (He is also a big Wallace Stevens fan, by the way).

John says: Thank you very much. I'm touched to hear that you remember me. I keep meaning to write more, but teaching and the slump that followed the great effort of emigrating to Canada have kept me to my main hobby, sleeping.
Thanks again.